::ethereal dreamer::

     

           
           
           
           

Hi! Welcome to my world, guys. Posted here are my not-so-daily journal.

Feel free to post any comments, suggestions, or questions!!

ABOUT ME:

Name: Arlin, aka.Ogi
Location: California (no more), in Bandung now
Birthday: 17 Nov 1982
Obsessions: having a life of peace, constant learning
Currently Reading: Bible, Le Petit Nicolas, Anna Karenina
Dreams: to have peace...and love

Tuesday, August 03, 2004
--javajive--

I found java-jive by Brandon. It's actually interesting to see Indonesia from the perspective of an expat. I am so used to taking on the perspective of an Indonesian standing on a foreign land, and I had fun comparing my hypothetically "foreign" view of Indonesia with a genuinely "foreign-but-not-too-foreign" standpoint ^_^ He already donned some habits that are highly incompatible with American "sense of ethics": using pirated softwares. One difference between me, a so-called Americanized Indonesian, and him, a true expat: he actually felt the pull of consumerism more strongly in flooded-by-chain-stores-AMERICA rather than in highly-customized-private-stores, streets-lined-with-hawkers, you-can-get-into-deathly-bargain-competitions world of INDONESIA. I just don't get it. He has some really nice pictures of Indonesia. It's the nationalistic side of me that always beams proudly inward when people portray my country in positive limelight ^_^. I'd love to be able to take those kinds of pictures that can evoke certain moods in the audience.
Rlynn wandered here @ 8/03/2004 01:03:00 PM
|